Tuesday, December 28, 2010
Monday, December 13, 2010
- Set a good example for children by eating fruits, vegetables, and whole grains with meals or as snacks.
- Let children decide on the dinner vegetables or what goes into salads.
- Offer children a choice of fruits for lunch.
- Use cut-up vegetables as part of afternoon snacks.
- Let children select and help prepare a whole grain side dish.
- While shopping, allow children to pick a new fruit or vegetable to try later at home.
- Decorate plates or serving dishes with fruit slices.
Be Physically Active
- Give gifts that encourage physical activity - active games or sporting equipment.
- Be active and get your family to join you. Have fun together. Play with the kids or pets. Go for a walk, tumble in the leaves, or play catch.
- Instead of sitting through TV commercials, get up and move. Remember to limit TV watching and computer time.
Kids in the Kitchen
- Depending on their age, children can help shop for, clean, peel, or cut up fruits and vegetables.
Tuesday, October 19, 2010
Thursday, October 14, 2010
Thursday, August 26, 2010
4-H2o teaches youth how carbon dioxide can affect aquatic animals and plants. To view more about the experiment check out the National Youth Science Day site.
Friday, August 13, 2010
Wednesday, July 7, 2010
Tuesday, June 29, 2010
- Know your 4-H project requirements that are found in the Warrick County 4-H Handbook.
- Look at resource books and websites related to the subject. When using websites make sure the information is from a reliable source.
- Get ideas from others
- When visiting other fairs, look at the exhibits but DO NOT COPY.
- Always cite your sources. For posters, you can list your sources on the back of the poster.
Sources for this blog entry: Steve McKinley, Extension Specialist and Amy Nierman, Extension Educator
Tuesday, June 15, 2010
Monday, June 14, 2010
The new tag makes it easier for us to have accurate fair results. 4-H members can pick up their exhibit tags from 1:00 until 3:00 on Sunday, July 11th at the 4-H Center.
Wednesday, June 2, 2010
Thursday, May 27, 2010
Friday, May 21, 2010
Monday, April 19, 2010
Tuesday, April 13, 2010
Thursday, April 1, 2010
Wednesday, March 31, 2010
Today 4-H touches the lives of more than seven million youth across America in urban, suburban and rural communities. To learn about joining 4-H call Purdue Extension Warrick County at 897-6100 or visit us on-line at http://www.ces.purdue.edu/warrick/ before May 1.
Tuesday, March 23, 2010
Youth who are 4-H members are:
25 percent more likely to contribute to their families, themselves, and their communities.
More likely to see themselves going to college compared to other youth.
41 percent less likely to engage in risk/problem behavior.
Higher scores on goal setting and goal management.